Who Is Barack Obama?
Barack Obama as President and Fun Facts
By Cara J. Stevens
Image Courtesy of: Obama for America
Average User Rating:
Winning the White House
When the results came in, 67 million people voted for Barack and 58 million voted for John McCain. Barack won 365 electoral votes and John McCain won 173 votes. At least 270 electoral votes are needed to become President of the United States.
Barack Obama won the election. On that cold, windy night in a park in Chicago called Grant Park, Barack, Joe Biden, and their families were greeted warmly with cheers and tears from thousands of supporters gathered to celebrate his victory. After he won, Barack gave a speech that was shown on televisions around the country and around the world. He began his speech with these words:
“If there is anyone out there who still doubts that America is a place where all things are possible, who still wonders if the dream of our Founders is alive in our time, who still questions the power of our democracy, tonight is your answer.”
The people in the park cheered. Many people in all parts of the country, as well as the world, were happy to have witnessed this moment in American history. Barack continued his speech by saying that even though being President is not easy, he would do his best for the country and for the American people while he is President.
Fun Facts about Barack Obama
- The name Barack means “blessing from God”
- He is left-handed.
- According to Blender magazine, his favorite music includes artists like The Fugees, the Rolling Stones, Bruce Springsteen, and Kanye West.
- He won a Grammy award for the audio recording of his book Dreams from My Father.
- He has authored three very successful books.
- According to his official Facebook profile, his favorite TV show is Sportcenter.
- When he was a child, he wanted to become an architect.
- He collects comic books.
- When he lived in Indonesia, he had two baby crocodiles, chickens, ducks and a gibbon named Tata as his pets.
- He loves to cook chili.
- According to the Associated Press, his least favorite food is beets.
- African American Heroes: Barack Obama
By Feinstein, Stephen; Enslow Publishers, 2008.
- Barack Obama: The making of America's first black president
Learn facts about Barack’s early life and his family.
- Barack Obama: a life in pictures
View pictures of Barack Obama from early childhood to today.
- Milestones: Barack Obama
Take a look at a timeline of Barack’s life--from Hawaii to the White House.
- Election Results 2008
Final election results of the 2008 Presidential election.
- Barack Obama: The 50 facts you might not know
Learn more fun facts about Barack Obama.
- Barack Obama Featured Biography
Read a full biography of Barack Obama done by the Biography Channel.