What Is Cinco de Mayo?
Mexican Recipes, Fun and Games
By Cara J. Stevens
Average User Rating:
Prepare a feast!
Mexican recipes like tacos, quesadillas, nachos and guacamole are fun treats kids and adults love. Keep things easy with a taco bar, featuring soft and hard taco shells, 10” tortillas for burritos, hot and mild salsas, chicken, beef and pork fillings, refried beans, avocado slices, shredded cheese, sour cream, lettuce and tomatoes.
Roasted corn on the cob makes an easy side dish. Serve it with spray margarine and a choice of salt, hot sauce or paprika to sprinkle on top.
Easy black bean and corn salsa:
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen corn niblets
- 2 medium tomatillos or tomatoes, diced
- ½ cup diced onions (can be frozen)
- ¼ cup oil
- 1 tbsp chili powder (more to taste)
- ¼ tsp dried cilantro (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
Mix all ingredients together. Let sit for at least 1 hour before serving.
For dessert, cut large tortillas into eighths, butter and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar. Bake in toaster oven until crispy. Serve with ice cream and chocolate sauce. For even more great ideas, visit our Mexican Recipe page on Kaboose.
Fun and Games:
- Musical chairs and freeze dance become instant themed games when set to Mariachi music or Spanish songs. Check out some more Cinco de Mayo games here.
- Print out coloring pages, and then attach each child’s masterpiece to a dowel to create a fun flag.
- Decorate bikes, scooters, tricycles, wagons and even pets with streamers, silk flowers and balloons. Put a portable radio or MP3 player with speakers in the lead vehicle and blast some fun tunes.
- Make a parade through the yard or the neighborhood.
- Get crafty: Create clay pots with quick-drying clay. Roll the clay into a long rope, then, beginning at the bottom, coil the rope around and then up to create a pot. Use colorful clay, or use a basic color and paint it when it’s dry--it makes a great take-home craft. Here are some more great crafts to explore.
- Ending a party with a piñata insures everyone will go home with a special treat. Keep extra prizes on hand for anyone who misses out on the mad scramble for treats.
- Visit here for more fabulous activities, and be sure to visit our Cinco de Mayo crafts page.